Daily check-in thread?

Solidarity and discussion for the NaNoWriMo 2020 Write-Through
JR Handley

Re: Daily check-in thread?

Post by JR Handley »

Day 22:

I wrote 800 words today, but more importantly we held our annual Handley Pumpkin Chunkin contest and I won! Every year we buy pumpkins on the day before Halloween and hold them for the great event. We then throw them for distance from a bridge near my house into the water. It's a fun tradition and one my sons love. I threw the farthest this year, beating my step-dad for the first time in a decade and my youngest took the prize for the shortest throw. Believe it or not, that takes skill too. The wind took my oldest sons attempt at that win and carried it just enough for that prize. Anyway, there has been NO zero days and my daily numbers are on the rise. Not where I want them, but still forward progress.
Theresa Baumgartner

Post by Theresa Baumgartner »

Ha! JR, that sounds like a fun tradition, and also a good excuse to learn how to build a trebuchet.
Theresa Baumgartner

Day 23: 1674 today for a total of 40,397.

I am definitely looking forward to having a few days off from the day job to work on this. (Well, okay, I'm just looking forward to having a few days off in general.) And now it is time to drag the pups around town for a while.
JR Handley

Post by JR Handley »

Theresa,

A trebuchet would require a permit unless we built REALLY small ones. I shall look into the legalities!

Day 23:

I only wrote 102 words, which was frustrating. Sometimes being the father of two special needs sons interrupts your ability to sit and write. By the end of the day I was beat and only wrote the 102 words so I didn't have a zero day. This NaNo has been a big failure of inconsistency and low word counts for me.
jdsawyer
Site Admin

Post by jdsawyer »

Day 24 check in:
Completely lost the day. Only did 701 words. May not make the show tonight. Tomorrow will be better.
Current total: 53027
Theresa Baumgartner

Day 24: 1691 today for a total of 42,088.

I was feeling unmotivated about pretty much everything today and had nearly written the day off (which would have been okay since I have a one day buffer still), but then I started sprinting with some friends in the Sacramento NaNoWriMo group. Now the dogs can get the walk they deserve.
JR Handley

Post by JR Handley »

Day 24:

I wrote 2,100 words today, so this was a winning day for me. If I can keep this as a daily minimum, from now until 12/30/2020, then I'll meet my publishers deadline for this novel! Woohoo!! Now excuse me while I polymorph into the little engine who could! Oh, and I did this on top of walking 5,000 steps today without my cane (take that VAMC!) and organizing and inventorying my freezers! Tomorrow I'll try to hit that minimum and then exceed it so I can build a buffer one word at a time!
Theresa Baumgartner

Excellent job on the words AND the 5,000 steps, JR!

Day 25: 1771 today, for a total of 43,859. And now the dogs would really like me to know that it is time to go for a walk.
JR Handley

Post by JR Handley »

Day 25:

I only got in 500 words on my NaNo project but my other project took my time. I wrote 5,641 words for the D&D Podcast Twitch Stream I run. Unfortunately, those words weren't on the book I need to finish by years end. Stupid paying gig.
jdsawyer
Site Admin

Post by jdsawyer »

Just finished tomorrow's recording. Ended my Day 26 with 1738 words, which brings my total to 57101.
I've now got the entire rest of the book scene-carded out so that I can start knocking pins over. By my calculations, this leaves about 16,500 to 17,500 words to go, which means if I want to finish by recording time on the 29th (my day 30 due to the recording schedule) I have to basically do 6k words/day. Tomorrow that will probably be impossible, so I'm going to have to get in as much as I possibly can tonight and tomorrow, then hit some 9k days on Saturday and Sunday. Doable, but yikes. Been a while since I hit that kind of stride with fiction.

Congrats on the progress JR!
Theresa, looks like you're going to cross the 50k finish line. Go go go!!!
:-)
-Dan