Feedback

Lean on other writers for support and solidarity. Post questions, feedback, and talk about anything that comes up on the show.
JR Handley

Feedback

Post by JR Handley »

Dan,

This seemed like the perfect place for us to leave feedback on your recent episodes! I will leave mine below and assume other people will get to theirs too!

Episode 815: Law Enforcement and Jurisdiction

In answering this question, you advised the listener to talk to local precinct desk sergeants and visit court rooms to learn for their book prep. However, you missed an easy solution that allowed the author to get the answers quickly and from the comfort of their home. College professors! Almost every college or university has a criminal justice curriculum in their humanities department. Some even have programs specifically designed to train future police officers. Why not reach out to them and in return credit the professor in the book? Another route to investigate via college programs to get this data would be to look into the Police Corps Scholarships program. It's temporarily on hold, but when it's active it operates like the ROTC programs out there. I hope this additional information helps!

Edit: Here is a a link to the Police Corps program.
http://www.collegescholarships.org/scho ... g%2C%20and
jdsawyer
Site Admin

Re: Feedback

Post by jdsawyer »

Thanks! Got it slated for the next recording session.
JF_Erikson

Post by JF_Erikson »

While listening to episode 868 and your request for more questions, I decided to jump in with both feet and ask the question that's been gnawing at me like a rabid squirrel for the last several years. As stated previously, my biggest struggle seems to be with structure. I have more books on the subject of structure then any other within genre of writing books. Be it Save the cat, the hero's journey, the heroine's journey, three-act structure, four-act structure, five-act structure, ad infinitum, Ad nauseum, an infinite number of monkeys set poised over an infinite number of typewriters bashing out their own ideas of story structure. Where I get lost is in the idea of, for lack of a better word, relativism.

As a solitary example oh, I'd like to use the hero's journey. Each stage of the hero's journey, as I understand it, is of equal size of every other stage. This is mostly based on the graphic representations that I've seen over the years. How valid is this viewpoint? And doesn't seem to be as prevalent as I make it out to be? I don't know if this can be whittled down to a single episode or stretched out to make a series. But I will leave it in your capable hands.

Thanks always
jdsawyer
Site Admin

Post by jdsawyer »

Got it. Will be recording in the next couple days. Answer should air in about 10 :-)
Thanks!
-Dan
JF_Erikson

Post by JF_Erikson »

I'm the poster child of imposter syndrome. I've written 4 books and edited my voice out of all of them. I often wonder, when people talk about it, what is involved in the rewrite process. At times I Envision it as cleaning up this sentence, correcting that misspelling, polishing that paragraph, and adjusting the inconsistencies between these chapters. I also sense that some people talk about the rewrite process as starting again from scratch and writing a whole new 80,000 to 100,000 words, while keeping the original draft somewhere in the back of your mind. Can you share your thoughts on this process? I would find it very useful.

As always, love the show, keep up the good work.
jdsawyer
Site Admin

Post by jdsawyer »

Thanks JF. Got it in the queue!
warrosa

Post by warrosa »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru